Friday, August 01, 2008

Rice



Now I've never burned or ruined rice in my life and lets face it,
how hard can it be to cook rice properly, for fucks sake, even
women can do it. Anyway, because of the project on which I'm
working at the moment ( I'll tell yis later ) my Master Chef
friend advised me to invest in a Rice Cooker and I have to
admit that I'd never heard of such a thing until this week when
I saw one advertised in the Lidl Leaflet, God, I'm a sucker for
all the little gizmos they produce every week, all the little
things ( Web-Cam, Dimmer-Switches, Ratchet sets, Drills, Fire-
Extinguishers, etc. etc.) that I never realised I needed so very
urgently. He ,the Chef, was talking about the Industrial ones
the Chinks use, up to 10 Litres capacity, for, as he says, the one
time that you urgently need and have to have rice is the time
you'll make a Bollix of it.
Which is how I came to buy one today in Lidl ( 1.7 lt. for 18 euro )
and of course I gave it a lash tonight, including the steamer bit.
All I can say is that it did exactly as it said on the tin, 'cept I
overcooked the steamed veggies ( carrots, celery and cauliflower)
by putting them in at the same time. Even the Shitty Basmati rice
that Lidl sells turned out allright, I never use it, much preferring
the Brown Basmati that you get in a Health Food shop, but not
Organic or Free-Trade, fuck no, stuff is expensive enough as it
is, and I reckon it all comes out of the same sack anyway. As I
said somewhere else, when I was in the business I never bought
Free-range Chicken or Eggs, but I always SOLD them.

No comments: